James Hoffman Ultimate Aeropress Technique
This recipe comes from James Hoffmann, winner of the 2007 World Barista Championships and author of the critically-acclaimed World Atlas of Coffee. You can also watch his YouTube video here.
- 11g coffee ground at the finer end of medium*
- 200g water (brought to a boil and used immediately)
- Put the filter into the cap. Don't rinse or preheat the brewer
- Put coffee into the brewer
- Place Aeropress on scales and then add water, aiming to wet all the coffee during pouring
- Start a timer, and immediately place the piston piece into the top of the brewer, about 1 cm in
- Wait 2 minutes
- Holding the brewer and the piston, gently swirl the brewer
- Wait 30 seconds
- Press gently all the way
*assuming this is light-roasted coffee. The darker you go the more you may prefer to increase the dose and coarsen the grind.